Screening ChecksScreening Checks
- Child-related employment screening
- Disability services employment screening
- Aged care sector screening
- Vulnerable-person-related employment screening
- General employment probity screening
- Obtaining criminal history information
- National Police Certificate
- Information assessed
- Appealing a screening decision
- How long does screening take?
Aged care sector screening
Aged care sector screening involves assessing whether a potential employee or volunteer may pose a risk of harm to older people when providing aged care services.
Requirement for aged care sector screening
Aged care sector screening is required for:
- key organisational personnel in Commonwealth-funded aged care services
- employees and contractors providing care (including staff employed, hired, retained or contracted to provide services, whether in a residential aged care setting, community setting or in the service recipient's own home)
- allied health professionals contracted to provide care services
- kitchen, cleaning, laundry, garden and office personnel employed by the service provider either directly or through a contract agency, and
- consultants, trainers and advisors of the provider.
The organisation must be satisfied that the person being assessed does not have:
- a conviction for murder or sexual assault
- a conviction of, and sentence to imprisonment for, any other form of assault
- other criminal history offences.
Conducting aged care screening
Organisations providing aged care services do not need to use the services of the DHS Screening Unit, and may conduct their own screening.
Statutory Declaration for citizens or residents of a country other than Australia
Aged care providers must ensure that a person, who at any time after turning 16, has been a citizen or permanent resident of a country other than Australia, has made a statutory declaration stating that they have never been convicted of murder or sexual assault, or convicted of and sentenced to imprisonment for any other form of assault.